You can create your own SSL certificate and make your site secure. You can use cPanel or use different methods for generating and installing SSL certificate in your server. SSL allows you to encrypt your and your users’ information such as passwords; credit card numbers, etc. and keep them secure. It is important for website owners to keep their users and their own login details to keep secure by encrypting them.
How to Create SSL Certificate?
Generate a new certificate
You can generate a new certificate using cPanel or a simple command. To generate a new certificate you need to do these steps.
- Go to cPanel and click on SSL/TLS manager and select “Certificates (CRT)”.
- Now fill “Generate a New Certificate” form.
- Select Key bits. (Example “Generate a new 2,048 bit key.”)
- In “Domains” area, enter your domain names. (Example “*.trickytechs.com”)
If you want to use SSL in one sub domain (Example https://www.trickytechs.com) then use this on domains field. For whole website including all sub domains and main domain you can use *.trickytechs.com so every pages of your domain will be secure by your SSL certificate.
Generate a new Private Key
For generating private key follow the given steps.
- Go to cPanel and click on SSL/TLS manager and select Private Key.
- Now select key size that you want to use.
- Fill description but it’s optional.
- Click on “Generate” button, you will receive private key.
How to Install SSL Certificate?
You can install SSL certificate directly using cPanel in SSL option where you can see creating, uploading and installing certificates and keys option. Your own created certificate and key is only for temporary till CA issues a certificate. So now follow given steps for installing an SSL certificate on server using cPanel.
- On SSL/TLS manager you will see “Install and manage SSL for your site (HTTPS)” click on this option.
- Now you will see “Install an SSL Website” form then you need to select domain that you want to use with secure server.
- Now paste your certificate (CRT) & Private Key (KEY).
- Now just install this using installing button.
All hosting providers didn’t provide cPanel, so if your web hosting provider didn’t give cPanel you can follow the below given steps. You can get certificate and key from Certificate Authority when you request for SSL certificate. So you can only do these given steps to install SSL.
- First access you server files using file manager or FTP.
- Now make a file “HTTPD.CONF” if that file doesn’t exist.
- Edit this file using any editor like Notepad.
- Now your SSL certificates and keys are installed.
# Server Key:
If you want to use SSL for free you need to create your own certificate authority but your CA certificate must be installed on users device so this can work. This is not recommended but you can test this on your device.
CA certificates are required in SSL and also must installed in the device where your site will be open, so you can get verified CA certificate from some of well-known companies like VeriSign, GeoTrust, GoDaddy etc. You can also get free trial services from some of those companies, to see how it works and the benefits you get from them.
- Server must support SSL.
- Identity and address proof for showing name with country.
Important Note: Please remember that not every web hosting company support usage of SSL certificate and even if your web host support this feature than be sure to see which of their plan have this feature. The another important thing you must know is even your web host and the plan you are with supports SSL certificate, but to be able to use it you must have dedicated IP address, otherwise you couldn’t install it.